October is here again and while some Floridians are visiting pumpkin patches and preparing for annual costume parties, many Florida natives, along with thousands of visitors, are gearing up for Biketoberfest.
Biketoberfest has been a tradition for motorcycle enthusiasts since 1993. According to MotorcyleUSA.com Biketoberfest was established with the goal of attracting visitors to the Daytona area during the Fall season. With tens of thousands of bikers riding into town every October, it's safe to say Daytona Beach has reached and surpassed their goal.
Listed on the Official Bikeweek Headquarters page, this year's Biketoberfest is filled with events that are sure to draw in a huge crowd.
The mass quantities of bikers that fill Daytona streets every year do bring in money for the city as well as Daytona Beach business owners, unfortunately they also bring with them an increased risk for traffic incidents and fatalities.
Motorcycle related injuries and fatalities are a tragic sight too many Florida motorists are familiar with. According to The Daytona Beach News Journal as Biketoberfest 2013 neared its end a total of four bikers had lost their lives. Motorcycle incidents can be avoided by exercising caution while on the road.
According to the Florida Department of Highway Safety and Motor Vehicles these are some safety tips for bikers, and a few for all motorists, to keep in mind.
- Take a motorcycle rider safety course to develop good techniques.
- Get a motorcycle endorsement on your driver license.
- Be seen. Wear bright/reflective clothing and use retro-reflective material.
- Be Alert! Your ability to react is impaired when you are tired and drowsy.
- Plan your route in advance. Familiarize yourself with the area and coordinate with other drivers in your group.
- Inspect your motorcycle before each ride.
- Do not drink alcohol or use drugs and drive. It is illegal and can impair your judgement.
- Know local traffic laws and follow them.
- Show courtesy to other drivers on the road.
- Stop street racing. Speed kills.
Following these basic safety tips may help you avoid an accident, but if you or someone you know is unfortunately injured please contact the Law Firm of Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLC, Stuart, FL motorcycle accident lawyers. They can assist you with your personal injury claim. Enjoy all the Fall festivities this year but please remember to practice caution while driving and always look twice for motorcycles.
If you do find yourself in need of a personal injury attorney, please contact us.