Talk to Lauri Goldstein Personally on Her Cell - Call (772) 248-0544 Now!
We Are Available 24/7

Nursing Home Abuse

The decision to place an elderly loved one in the care of others is wrenching for most families. They want to care for their parent or other relative themselves, but this is often impossible due to the person's extensive medical needs. Families trust nursing home staff to provide loving care in their absence. It is devastating to learn that their loved one suffered physical abuse, emotional abuse, sexual abuse, or neglect instead.

When an older family member is abused in a nursing home, an injury attorney in Stuart, FL can help. While the attorneys at Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLC can't undo the physical and emotional damage your loved one suffered, we can pursue justice on their behalf by filing a personal injury lawsuit.

What Constitutes Nursing Home Abuse?

Fortunately, outright abuse of elderly people in nursing homes is not common. It is much more likely for them to suffer the effects of neglect. Some of the ways you can tell that your parent or older relative has been neglected include:

  • Clothing that smells bad because it is not regularly washed
  • Messy, unwashed hair
  • He or she has bedsores that weren't present prior to going into the nursing home
  • Your relative complains frequently of hunger or appears malnourished

If you do suspect abuse, look for one or more of the following signs:

  • Unexplained bruising on any part of your loved one's body
  • Your relative seems overly fearful around certain staff members
  • He or she appears withdrawn or depressed

Speak to Administration First, Then Call a Lawyer

When you suspect abuse or neglect, the first step is to discuss your concerns with nursing home administration. However, you have the right to escalate your concerns if you don't feel the staff is taking the appropriate actions. This includes hiring a personal injury attorney on behalf of your abused family member. We encourage you to contact us at Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLC to learn more about this process.