Toxic black mold is a serious threat to property owners everywhere. The sports a mold colony creates as well as the mycotoxins they produce can lead to serious health problems, including severe illness and possibly even death if someone is overexposed for too long a period of time. However, this mold can only grow under certain circumstances, and that means it’s possible to stop it from ever forming if you know what these signs are and keep your eyes open for them. Here are a few of the causes of toxic black mold formation so you can recognize the potential for it to form before it truly can.
Toxic mold can grow almost anywhere, but needs conditions to be wet and damp for a considerable amount of time before it can really catch on and start spreading. While other types of mold such as white and green mold can form with as little as a day or two’s exposure, toxic black mold needs a surface to be wet or damp for at least a week before it can grow. However, once it starts growing it’s hard to stop, which means you need to be careful and monitor dark and possibly damp spaces (including those spaces which are out of sight and prone to water leaks) to ensure they stay sealed and dry.
Florida’s warm climate is an ideal place for mold to grow. Unlike northern cities which see frigid and even below-freezing temperatures for a good chunk of the year, Florida sees moderate temperatures almost year-round. This means mold can grow almost anywhere without issues, and even warmer areas, such as garages or closets around water heaters or air conditioning units, may be even more susceptible to sustaining mold growth.
Florida is no stranger to humidity, and for that reason, our homes and businesses are at a particularly high threat level for toxic mold formations. When humidity enters your home, the moisture can be absorbed by different materials throughout your home, creating the aforementioned wet conditions that spurn mold growth. For this reason, it’s important to make sure you have a high-quality swamp cooler, air conditioner, or dehumidifier along with a good flow of ventilation to ensure the moisture is removed from your indoor air, both keeping you more comfortable and preventing mold growth.
Many people mistakenly think that mold needs sunlight to grow, as though it was like a plant. This isn’t true, in fact it’s quite the opposite. Mold isn’t a plant, it’s a fungus, which means it shares few of the same properties as plants. Mold actually doesn’t do well in sunlight because the ultraviolet radiation that the sun emits zaps and kills the spores (the same radiation that can lead to sunburns and skin cancer with too much exposure in humans). This means toxic mold usually grows in dark places, and in many cases it does because these places are often out of sight and out of mind for home or property owners. The darker and more secluded a place, the more likely it is you’ll ignore it, and the more likely mold will grow there if it’s exposed to water.
High-Cellulose, Low-Nitrogen Materials
Mold can’t grow on just anything. It needs a substance that’s low in nitrogen levels and high in cellulose in order to take root, spread, and grow. Nitrogen is generally bad for mold, which is why you don’t often see it growing in thin air or areas that get a lot of moving air exposure, but in areas that are generally more stagnant. Cellulose is what mold uses as a food source. What are some of these substances? Easy: a lot of indoor building materials. Drywall, insulation, paper products, wallpaper, carpet, wood, or ceiling tiles are all prime spots for mold growth in a building.
If you have sustained a serious illness due to exposure to toxic mold, you may be entitled to compensation. Speak with a Stuart toxic mold lawyer from Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLC today by dialing 866-675-4427 for a case evaluation.