We all know motor vehicle accidents account for a significant percentage of injuries and fatalities each year, but did you know a noteworthy number of those accidents involve commercial trucks? Commercial trucks, or semi-trucks, can be extremely dangerous under the right circumstances, and when they’re involved in a crash, they can generate significant damage.
Semi-trucks can weigh up to 80,000 pounds, and some carry multiple trailers, making them extremely large and heavy. Because of their sheer size, they can be substantially destructive in a crash and may harm nearby structures, vehicles, and people.
Before you take to the road, make sure you know what the statistics have to say about commercial truck accidents:
- 4,102 people died in truck accidents in 2017
- Of those 4,102, 17% were truck occupants, 68% were passengers of other vehicles, and 14% were pedestrians, cyclists, or motorcyclists
- The number of large truck fatalities increased by 30% from 2009 to 2017
- 22% of all fatal multiple-vehicle accidents in the United States involved large trucks
- There was a 10% increase in fatal truck crashes from 2016 to 2017
- Roughly 107,000 truck crashes resulted in injury in 2017
- The rate of injury-causing truck crashes increased by 5% from 2016-2017
Additionally, data collected by the U.S. Department of Transportation’s Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration provides specific information about what causes truck accidents.According data collected in 77,000 trucks between 2001 and 2003, the reasons for truck accidents break down as follows:
- 38%: Driver decision (speed, aggression, etc.)
- 28%: Driver inattention
- 12%: Driver fatigue, sickness, etc.
- 10%: Vehicle-related problems
This same study also discovered concrete reasons for truck crashes:
- 32%: Driver drove over the lane or off the road
- 29%: Driver lost control of the vehicle
- 23%: The crash was caused by another vehicle in the truck’s lane
- 10%: An issue occurred while turning or crossing an intersection
For the full breakdown, read the FMCSA Large Truck Crash Causation Study Analysis
These statistics tell us one thing for certain: truck accidents can be dangerous and deadly. Learning the facts can certainly help you become a more conscientious driver around semi-trucks, but your own knowledge, however useful, can’t always prevent a crash. If you or someone you love was harmed in an accident involving a commercial truck, make sure you know your legal options.
Do You Have a Case? We Can Help.
Our experienced attorney at Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLC can assess your case and guide you through the legal process with confidence and compassion. Our team has handled several commercial truck accident cases throughout our many years in practice and we know what it takes to advocate on behalf of the wrongfully injured.
Contact Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLC today for help with your truck accident injury case.