There are approximately 17,500 new spinal cord injuries reported in the United States each year. According to data collected by the National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke (NIH), most injuries can be linked to automobile collisions, slip and falls, acts of violence, sporting accidents, and medical malpractice incidents. While there are about 353,000 Americans living with debilitating and life-altering spinal cord injuries today, the average life expectancy for these individuals hasn’t improved since the 1980s.
U.S. Senate Resolution 533
In 2014, Republican Senator Marco Rubio of Florida introduced U.S. Senate Resolution 533 to the United States Senate. Without hesitation, the senators unanimously agreed to designate September as National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month.
Per the Resolution, the purpose of as National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month is as follows:
- Support research to find better treatments and therapies for people living with paralysis.
- Support new clinical trials that can lead to a cure for paralysis.
- Commend the efforts of organizations, researchers, and doctors who are working to improve the lives of people with spinal cord injuries.
This year, many awareness organizations, including the Triumph Foundation and The Miami Project, are participating in National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month to smash stereotypes, educate the public, and inspire survivors of all ages to live their best lives.
Interested in observing or supporting National Spinal Cord Awareness Month? You can lend your support in the following ways:
- Share your personal stories and experiences.
- Learn more about spinal cord injuries and paralysis.
- Donate to a relevant organization or start a fundraiser.
- Spread awareness through social media (#morethanmychair).
- Replace your Facebook profile pic with The Miami Project logo.
- Share videos about recent advancements spinal cord therapies.
- Post pictures of yourself enjoying life as a wheelchair-user.
Have You Sustained a Spinal Cord Injury?
The legal team at Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLC is proud to support National Spinal Cord Injury Awareness Month. As a personal injury firm, we have seen many clients and families affected by the physical and financial hardships associated with a spinal cord injury. For this reason, we are passionate about securing justice and life-saving damages for those who have been injured by the negligent actions of others. If you require legal representation after an injurious accident or event, contact the personal injury attorneys at Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLC today.
Call Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLCat (866) 675-4427 to arrange a free, no-risk consultation.