Talk to Lauri Goldstein Personally on Her Cell - Call (772) 248-0544 Now!
We Are Available 24/7
yellow wet floor sign in supermarket aisle

Where Do Slips, Trips, and Falls Take Place?

Slips, trips, and falls can take place wherever there is an unresolved hazard. That being said, these kinds of accidents are more common in certain places. Restaurants, for example, often have slippery floors due to grease, water, and food spills.

If you slip, trip, or fall on someone else’s property, you may be entitled to compensation. The owner or manager of the property may be responsible for your medical bills and other losses if:

  • They created the condition that caused your accident (for instance, an employee mopped the floor and you slipped)
  • They knew about the condition and failed to correct it (an employee noticed a spill and walked away)
  • They should have known and corrected the condition (a light had been out for several weeks and you fell because it was dark)
  • They failed to warn you of the hazard (the floor was wet, but there were no yellow cones)

Slips, trips, and falls can occur on public property, private property, and even in residential homes. Your case will be different depending on who owns or manages the property in question. We’ve provided some examples below based on the places where slips, trips, and falls are the most common – you may even notice some local spots on our list!

Common Sites of Slips, Trips, and Falls

High-traffic areas have the highest potential for slips, trips, and falls.

Grocery stores like Publix can have unmarked wet spots, leaks from refrigerators and freezers, and messy floors from loose food or beverages. The same hazards often apply to other retail stores, where narrow aisles and fallen merchandise can cause visitors to trip and fall. If you get hurt in a store, you will likely recover from the owner’s business insurance policy.

Parking lots and garages are common sites of slip, trip, and fall accidents, so you may get hurt before you even make it to your destination. If you sustain an injury in a public parking lot, you will have to make a claim with the city or county, follow strict filing deadlines, and meet all paperwork requirements. Injuries that occur on sidewalks and walkways often play out the same way. Of course, accidents that take place on private property will usually be resolved via private insurance.

Public spaces, such as Jonathan Dickinson State Park, Stuart Beach, Bathtub Reef Beach, and the St. Lucie River can also be home to slips, trips, and falls. If your injury is caused by an unmarked hazard or another dangerous condition, you may have to sue the city or county to recover compensation for your medical bills.

For tourists and locals alike, hotels, resorts, and restaurants are often chock-full of wet floors, twisted rugs, defective staircases, poor lighting, and other hazards. You could even be injured in a museum, such as the Stuart Heritage Museum, the Elliott Museum, or the House of Refuge Museum. When this occurs, you simply file a claim against the party who operates the premises and their insurance company.

Many people also get hurt at work. When this case, workers’ compensation can cover your medical bills and missed wages.

Filing a Claim

Stuart, Martin County, and the Treasure Coast are popular places to live, work, and travel. Our team at Lauri J. Goldstein & Associates, PLLC is here to help keep property owners compliant and protect the interests of the injured.

If you slip, trip, or fall due to a dangerous condition on someone else’s property, don’t hesitate to call our firm. You can contact us directly at (866) 675-4427 or contact us online for a fast response – we are available 24/7 to fight for you!